Born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Josephine Cardin is a fine arts photographer who grew up in South Florida, and is now living and working in Rochester, NY. Presently, Cardin has been developing her contemporary figurative work, inspired by music, dance, and the human themes of loneliness, isolation, fear, and transformation. Cardin works primarily in self-portraiture to illustrate scenes that bewitch and explore our human sensibilities through abstract stories with a visual dialogue between the subject and the artist created through harmonic gestures and magnetic artistry.
Cardin’s work has been published in Hi-Fructose, InPrint, Digital Camera, Photo+, BLUR, Elegant, Adore Chroma, The Spoiler’s Hand, Lucy’s, beau BU, F-Stop, Dark Beauty, and Dance Magazines; Playbill, and the book Meet The Dancers. She has exhibited with the Menier Gallery in London, ArtMeet Gallery in Milan, Spectrum Gallery in Rochester, NY, The Professional Woman Photographers, and The Boca Raton Museum of Art Juried Exhibition. Most recently Cardin was honored with a first place award by the Prix de La Photographie (PX3) for Between Lock and Key; has received honorable mentions for the 2014 and 2015 Julia Margaret Cameron Awards; was selected as a finalist for the Photographer’s Forum Magazine’s The Best of Photography 2014; and was also a finalist for the PhotoNola/International House Mary Magdalene Exhibit in New Orleans 2013. She has done work for the Boston Ballet, Rochester City Ballet, Arts Ballet Theater, and The Broward Center for the Performing Arts; as well as work for corporate clients. Additionally she earned an artistic grant from the state of Florida, prior to her move to Boston.
Always an artist in some capacity, Cardin started out as a ballet dancer, then earning her B.A. in Art History from Florida Atlantic University, followed by an M.A. in Communications from Lynn University. She went on to hold several professional jobs in the arts, while continuing to produce personal and professional photography projects as a freelancer. In 2010 Cardin focused on pursuing her fine arts career full-time.
– B.A. Art History, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL. 2002
– M.A. International Communications, Lynn University, Boca Raton, FL. 2004
– Fahrenheit Magazine (for Excelsior Newspaper, Mexico), Artist Feature.
– Musée Magazine, Emerging Artist Feature.
– Get Inspired Magazine, Artist Feature.
– InPrint Magazine, Artist Feature, and Cover.
– Falacia Magazine, Artist Feature, and back cover.
– Digital Camera Magazine, featured in 10 Thing To Try Now.
– Photo+ Magazine, Artist feature
– Pentaprism Magazine, Image from Under A Dark Night Sky.
– ArtAbout Magazine, Artist Feature.
– BeauNU Magazine, Cover and featured series Lost In Darkness.
– Kai’outi Magazine, Featured series Spare Me Confession.
– La +Plus Belle Magazine, Featured series Final Bow.
– Adore Chroma Magazine, Artist Feature.
– Scope Magazine, Artist Feature.
– BLUR Magazine, Featured photo from Under The Weight Of Your Words.
– Promo Magazine, Featured series Fractured Moonlight.
– Icing Magazine, Featured series In This Twilight.
– Elegant Magazine, Featured series In This Twilight.
– Dark Beauty Magazine, Featured editorial Darkness I Became.
– Kai’outi Magazine, Featured series Lost In Darkness.
– F-Stop Magazine, Group Exhibit, and featured on homepage.
– beau BU Magazine, Featured series Unraveling.
– The Imaginarium Magazine, Editor’s Choice.
– Lucy’s Magazine, Featured series Always Like This.
– The Spoiler’s Hand, Artist Feature/Interview.
– Canto Magazine, Three featured photographs.
– Playbill, Boston Ballet’s Giselle, Classic Balanchine, A Midsummer Nights Dream, and New Visions programs.
– Dance Magazine, Feature on Boston Ballet dancer Kathleen Breen Combes.
– Meet the Dancers, From Ballet, Broadway, and Beyond. Amy Nathan. Henry Holt and Company.
– Concrete|Spirituality: Architectural series of Louis Kahn’s First Unitarian Bldg. Williams Gallery, Rochester, NY.
– ArtMeet Gallery, Exhibit at the Forex Invasion, Milan.
– Spectrum Gallery, Finalist in 2015 Emerging Talent Exhibition.
– Saatchi Gallery, Part of revolving art on big screen installation, London.
– Menier Gallery, London.
– Professional Woman Photographers, 38th Anniversary International Call For Entry. (Honorable mention).
– PhotoNola/International House Mary Magdalene Exhibit (One of thirteen finalists), New Orleans, LA.
– Grossman’s Home And Garden Art Alive! Exhibit, Penfield, NY.
– Boca Raton Museum of Art 9th Annual Juried Art Exhibition, Coral Springs Center For The Arts, Coral Springs, FL.
– Women In The Visual Arts “Summertime” art exhibit. Delray Beach Public Library, Delray Beach, FL.
– First Place Fine Art – Professional (Digitally Enhanced) Prix de la Photographie (PX3) for Between Lock and Key
– LensCulture – Comfort In Chaos featured
– Hi-Fructose magazine – Artist Feature
– PhotoVogue (Vogue Italia) Spring Gallery
– Phlearn – Artist Feature
– Indigits – Artist Feature and interview
– Talenthouse Magazine – Artist Feature
– Image from Keep Me Silent on permanent display at Talenthouse Headquarters, L.A.
– Worbz – Artist Feature
– Fubiz – Artist Feature
– LensCultrue – Artist Feature – Beautiful Chaos: Poetry, Feeling and the Human Form
– PhotoVogue – Cover of The Day, Feb 3
– iGNANT – Featured series, Keep Me Silent
– FotoFlock by Epson – Artist Feature
– Feature and interview with ALTFoto magazine
– Emerging/Contemporary Photo of The Day – YourDailyPhotograph.com from Duncan Miller Gallery.
– On the cover of KAVYAR creative platform online.
– People’s Voice Photo of The Month for BLUR Magazines Gallery 36.
– Finalist for the Photographer’s Forum Magazine’s Best of Photography 2014.
– Honorable mention in the Julia Margaret Cameron Awards.
– Featured in Inspiro India, 10 Inspiring Black and White Photographs.
– Professional Woman Photographers, Year long online exhibit for The 38th Anniversary International Call For Entry. Honorable mention for the Bailaora.
– The series This Loneliness, Nevermore, and Life In A Glasshouse were featured on Italian arts website ArtAbout.it.
– Money Tower featured on the 1 Million Photographers blog.
Be Set Free
Never To Return
Between Lock and Key
Keep Me Silent
Of Desolate Amber
Tears As They Dry